Here at The Little Rose Shop, we love a great saint turnaround story. St. Francis of Assisi is one of these guys. He was born into wealth and privilege, motivated by success and money. Francis one day heard God calling him to go home and rebuild His church. Francis thought the Lord was calling him to literally and physically rebuild the parish in Assisi. Alas, the Lord was calling Him to rebuild His spiritual church in Assisi so Francis turned to a life of poverty and chastity, creating the Franciscan order. He spent his time preaching the Gospel and praised God in all of His creation. St. Francis is known for being the patron saint of animals, merchants and ecologists.
Here is how we are celebrating St. Francis:
- Download our free St. Francis coloring page and color away! Great for both kids and adults.
- Take your animals to the parish blessing of the animals. Many parishes use St. Francis’ feast day to bless parishioners dogs, cats, birds, you name it! Just be sure to follow your parish’s guidelines for when and how to bless your furry friend.
- Go for a nature walk. Take a family trek, stopping to admire and wonder at the beauty and awe of God’s creation.
- Donate a bag of gently used clothes or toys to your local shelter. As the weather turns cooler in October, consider donating to a local coat drive to help out our brothers and sisters in the upcoming winter months.
- Freeling crafty? Snag some St. Francis fabric designed by The Little Rose Shop.